When we purchase online, the operation does not end when the order completed. We await for our shipper with expectation and some concerns, since it is highly probable we haven’t had the opportunity to see the product previously. In such cases, making a good initial impression through packaging will be more decisive than ever.
Packaging must be effective in every aspect: It has to fulfill the logistics requirements, but it also has to be a great communicator of the brand values and align with the brand strategy. Thus, when designing packaging for your e-commerce, you have to take into account the following aspects:
- The size, since it has to fit the product it carries inside. If the container is much bigger than the content or if, on the contrary, it is too tight, the product will be unprotected. The packaging size must be correctly defined, to avoid extra storage space and unnecessary shipment costs.
- Design. An effective design is a big attribute concerning online purchases but also a challenge that affects every present agent in the supply chain. When receiving a package, we have our consumers’ full attention, it is when we need to generate feelings that remain in their minds. In addition, we have to involve the different departments on the company to see the viability and the most technical aspects for the folding carton production.
- Coherence. Consumers are increasingly demanding transparent brands and coherent products. Packaging has to align with the essence of the product that contains,as it is a part of the product. For instance, if the brand is selling an ecological product, the packaging has to showcase the ecological features, and it also has to act consequently. How? Using materials consistently, having into account its recycling process, etc.
- Integrity. During its shipment, the product purchased online can suffer alterations related to an improper load or handling. A resistant packaging that protects our product is key to assure its arrival in optimal conditions.
- Usefulness. Together with design, packaging functionality is a very valued attribute by the consumer. It is crucial to see beyond the basic needs of protection of the product and surprise the consumer with different options, such as transportation or dispensation systems, for instance.
- Sustainability. 2019 has been a turning point for the awareness about climate change, for both consumers and companies. More and more, consumers want and value responsible packaging. Optimizing the production processes, using clean energy, avoiding non-recycling materials, producing only what is necessary, for example, are ways of reducing the environmental impact of the packaging.
- Accessibility. As a first approach to complete inclusiveness, brands are adapting their online stores to make them accessible, but they have to also pay attention to the whole purchasing experience of the handicap customers. Packaging is the first physical contact they will have with the product and, therefore, it has to be conceived under inclusive packaging guidelines.
‘Unboxing’, the key phenomenon for online purchases
Marketing strategies go beyond the mere product, giving special relevance to the feelings that consumers experience. A lot of users enjoy the experience of acquiring a new product so much they amuse themselves unpacking it and they even recording it on video to publish on their social media accounts or share it with their friends, this is the famous term ‘unboxing’.
If you have seen any of these “unboxing” videos, you will notice the joy of the consumer when receiving a package with a carefully crafted image, when even the smallest details are thought of. Furthermore, when packaging is attractive to the eye, your product will have more chances to be shared! And even more important: if the design is recognisable, your own clients will advertise it for free.
Advantages of the omnichannel strategy
On this omnichannel stage, brands must lay down a global marketing strategy. To sum up, it is about standardizing the message in different communication channels to create a coherent universe around the brand and strengthen branding. This way, all users will get the right message, when they need it and through the suitable channel.
In this context, packaging becomes a strong link between physical and digital worlds. A good offline packaging can take action and improve online sales, particularly with less known brands or first orders online, because it is the first contact the consumer has with the product and, by extension, with the brand.
And you, have you got your online store and still you do not pay attention to your packaging strategy? We are sure we can help you, shall we talk?